Friday, September 9, 2011

Amazing Chicken Squares - OH MY!

This dish rates right up there as one of my most favorite dishes...it's great for serving company too.

These are simple enough to make.

But there's definitely nothing 'square' about their taste!

And really...they're not square, but shaped much like an apple dumpling.

I feel so spoiled whenever we enjoy these for a meal.

I was recently told by a friend that she has to double the recipe for her family because they can't get enough of this dish.

Try 'em...I'm sure you'll like 'em.

I love that they can be made a day ahead and refrigerated until ready to bake.


The picture above is before baking..



Yep, this is another favorite recipe that made it into my cookbook....page 50. 

(By the way...I'm running a 'first year' discounted special - I sold my very first cookbook one year ago August 1st - YAHOOO!!  Sold over 400 within the first five months!  Unbelievable! So I'm running a special deal...check out this page and click here for more info)

I can't say enough wonderful things about how delicious these chicken squares taste.

For me...they're 'over the top'.  On a scale of 1 - 10, I would rate these 11!

(But then...I LOVE cream cheese...and crescent rolls too.  My favorite two ingredients to bake with!)

CHICKEN SQUARES

4 ozs. cream cheese, softened
3 Tb. butter or margarine, melted, divided
2 c. chicken, cooked and cubed
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper (we like more)
1/2 (10-3/4 ozs) can cream of chicken soup
2 Tb. milk
1 (8 ozs) can crescent rolls
3/4 c. seasoned croutons, lightly crushed

Preheat oven to 350. Blend cream cheese and 2 Tb. butter until smooth.  Add chicken, salt, pepper, soup and milk.  Mix by hand until smooth.  Separate crescent rolls into 4 rectangles.  Firmly press perforations to seal.  Spoon heaping 1/2 c. mixture onto center of each rectangle. Pull four corners of dough to top center of chicken; twist slightly and seal edges. (This may be the hardest part). Brush tops with remaining margarine; dip in crouton crumbs.  Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown. 

Yield: 4 'sandwiches'

(Or cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours before baking.  Bring to room temperature before baking.)

Linked to Melt in Your Mouth Monday
    Ingredient Spotlight

6 comments :

  1. Wow! This recipe sounds like a real winner and you know how much I love "make ahead" recipes! :)

    Have a great weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made these for years-called "chicken packets". Instead of the stuffing, I roll in melted butter, then seasoned bread crumbs and bake. Delicious even the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what's not to love about these?!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been making these for years. I come back to this recipe all the time. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly