Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Honey-Sweetened Snack Mix

Please don't forget to check out my other post today...Healthy Peanut Butter Dip {no refined sugar}

I made this for a 'guys get together' and they cleaned it up quickly.

I am so tempted to rename this delicious snack....

"Whatever you Have on Hand Snack Mix"


I've began following a new blog a while back...

She's a lot like me in that not everything she posts is healthy and low cal, but she's got some great recipes that are, and in trying to eat healthier, I'm so glad to have Debbi on my side in Blogland.  =)  And very happy to find this recipe at her site.

She named this recipe Butterscotch Snack Mix.

I know we all tend to tweak recipes, and this one has SOOO much versatility. 

It's good with anything you add. 

I happened to have some open bags of 'replacement items' that I used and it turned out wonderful.

I just don't think there's any way you can botch this simple recipe.

It would be great to make for a quick snack or class party or even a bake sale.  It could easily be packaged into ziploc bags.

I'll share what I used and what the original recipe suggested.


HONEY-SWEETENED SNACK MIX

Cinnamon Graham Crackers - broken into bite sized pieces - 2 of 3 pkgs. in box
(I substituted cinnamon graham twists...they look like pretzels but are graham crackers instead)
1 lg. box of rice chex cereal
(I used honey nut toasted oats and used less honey - I also added a few cups of crispix rice cereal that was already open)
2 cups pretzels
1 - 2 cups pecans
(I used peanuts)
1-1/2 sticks butter
1/2 c. honey
(I used 1/4 c.)
1 bag butterscotch chips
(I used pretzel M & M's someone had recently given me)
You could try peanut butter or chocolate chips too?

Combine the crackers, pretzels, cereal and nuts in large bowl.  In microwave, melt butter and honey together.  Drizzle over
the mixture and stir to combine.  Spread out on two cookie sheets that have been sprayed with cooking spray.  Bake for 12 - 15 minutes, stirring a couple of times during baking.  Be careful not to burn.

Cool mixture completely - then add butterscotch chips.  Store in air tight container.

GUARANTEE: It won't last long!!!

Linked to Ingredient Spotlight
               Mrs. Fox's Sweet Party
   Weekend Potluck
         Sweets for Saturday
          Melt in Your Mouth Monday


3 comments :

  1. I love snack mixes, and this would be perfect for me to take to school on my long days.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious and I know it would not last long at my house. Come visit us. We have a lot of Irish treats this week.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly