Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Glazed Coconut Bread (Lighter Choices)

I LOVE quick breads and was very excited when I came across this one at 
Caramel Potatoes.  It's a fairly new blog to me and I am anxious to try a number of their recipes.  Caramel Potatoes are this mother/daughter team's 'signature dish'....be sure to check out their blog. 

I made a few simple revisions to this lovely recipe.  It was a real hit! I love making quick breads for gift giving or for showers or potlucks.  It's a great dish any time of the year! And I ALWAYS love a glaze that soaks into the bread and keeps it moist.  



GLAZED COCONUT BREAD 



4 eggs

(could use 3 eggs + 2 egg whites)
2 c. sugar
(I used 1 c. xylitol &  2/3 c. sugar)
1 c. oil
(I used 1/2 c. oil & 1/2 c. applesauce)
2  tsp. coconut extract
2 c. white whole wheat flour
1 c. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. flaked coconut
1 c. buttermilk**(see note below)

Coconut Glaze
1 c. sugar
(I used 3/4 c. xylitol)
1/2 c. water
(I used 1/3 c.)
2 Tb.  butter
1 tsp. coconut extract

Preheat oven to 325*.  Grease 2 large loaf pans.
In large mixing bowl beat eggs until fluffy.  Add the sugar, oil, applesauce and coconut extract and beat 3 more minutes.
Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder,  and salt and add to mixing bowl.  Mix until combined.  Add coconut and buttermilk.  Pour batter into loaf pans and bake for about 45 minutes. (Be sure to check after 40 minutes). (If using Splenda, check at 30 minutes)
Remove pans from oven and set on wire rack.
Just a few minutes before the breads are finished baking, begin making the glaze by combining sugar, water and butter in small saucepan.  Allow mixture to boil for 1 minute and then add in coconut extract.  Slowly pour the glaze over the hot bread (while it's still in the pan).  The glaze will soak into the bread and down the sides of the pan. 
When cool enough to handle, remove the bread from the pan and allow to finish cooling on the wire rack.  Slice & serve or place in airtight container until ready to serve. 


** TIP: You can make your own buttermilk by adding 1 Tb. vinegar to a

1 cup measuring cup; fill with milk; let stand 5 minutes before adding. 


Linked to Weekend Potluck
Meal Plan Monday

9 comments :

  1. I love coconut and moist bread...what a wonderful combination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you have given those options to substitute ingredients for healthier bread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious and I love how you give the lighter options too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you liked the coconut bread. What a great way to lightened it up!

    Kyra @ {Caramel Potatoes}

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you liked the coconut bread. What a great way to lightened it up!

    Kyra @ {Caramel Potatoes}

    ReplyDelete
  6. G'day! I love your recipe, TRUE!
    Your cake loosk moist and delish too!
    Cheers! Joanne
    What's On The List
    http://www.whatsonthelist.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. The crumb on this bread is crazy moist--it looks absolutely melt-in-your-mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great ways of lightening it up, Marsha. I have never tried xylitol. I need to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly