Tuesday, September 24, 2013

My Favorite Pot Roast Meal (Stovetop or Crockpot)

AAAHHH - MY.FAVORITE.MEAL.EVER!

There's something about comfort food....it often takes you back to your childhood.

This one does it for me, every single time!

I soo love a pot roast that is simmered long and low...with the veggies added toward the end.  Reminds me of many Sunday meals around the table when I was a kid. 

We lived on a farm and raised our own beef.  MMMM good!

I can't believe I didn't even think to make gravy...would have made for a prettier photo, but this meal was soo tasty just as it was.

There was plenty of broth for gravy, but my daughter and family were here visiting and we just didn't want to take the time.  

We even had biscuits!  I LOOVE biscuits & gravy. 

I'll give you the instructions for making the gravy, so you can do it.

I have often made this meal on top of the stove in a dutch oven, but this time  I did the crockpot thing, so I'll also share instructions for doing it both ways.  



BEEF POT ROAST MEAL  

3 - 4 lb. beef chuck roast
1 Tb. oil
1 onion, sliced
1 stalk celery, cut into 2" pieces
1 env. ranch dressing
1 env. brown gravy mix
(or use one env. dry onion soup mix)
about 2 c. water or beef broth 
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt & pepper to taste 

potatoes, carrots, onions, cabbage - your choice
cleaned and cut into chunks

In Dutch oven, brown roast in hot oil. (You might want to dry it with a paper towel first, so it doesn't spit at you when you place it in the oil).  Combine dry mixes with water, then add everything but the veggies to the pot, covering roast about 2/3 of the way with the liquid. Cover and simmer on low heat for 3 - 4 hours on stovetop (or if using crockpot, cook 6 - 8 hours on low, or 3 - 4 hours on high, so it will be nice and tender). 

About 1-1/2 hrs. before serving, add fresh veggies and let cook until tender. 

GRAVY: For 1-1/2 c. stock, mix 1/4 c. all purpose flour with 1/2 c. water to make a smooth paste; whisk into boiling broth (turn crockpot to high about 15 minutes before ready to make the gravy, or pour into saucepan and make it on the stovetop); stirring until smooth and thick. If you would like thicker gravy, add more flour/water mixture. 

SOUR CREAM GRAVY: For 1-1/2 - 2 c. stock, blend 1 c. dairy sour cream with 3 Tb. all purpose flour.  Bring stock to boil; slowly whisk in sour cream mixture.  Cook and stir just until gravy thickens.  

Be sure to serve with biscuits (Killer 7-Up Biscuits recipe here) and your meal is complete.

I love enjoying this dish with Ranch dressing over everything...

except for the biscuits of course.  *-* 

 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly