Sunday, May 4, 2014

Homemade Toaster Strudels (2 Ingredients!)

I was SO excited when I saw this quick and easy recipe from Tiffany at 
JUST BEFORE I was heading to my daughter's for a visit.  

I love being able to involve my grandchildren in kitchen 'fixins' so this was perfect.  I picked up the ingredients on my way there. 

Here's my little helper Kaity - apron & all.  She did a great job and loved being able to press them together with a fork. 


Who can possibly argue TWO INGREDIENTS???
(3 - counting store purchased frosting)

These were so simple, but I also want to give you some options to try that I've read up on also, so keep reading...

I loved that Tiffany didn't even bother to roll out the dough, though you could...and you could have more than 6 strudels too. 

Six was perfect for us, so that's what we went with. 


HOMEMADE TOASTER STRUDELS 

1 box Puff Pastry (found in freezer section, thawed) 
(It will have 2 sheets of pastry..and each one will be cut into 6 triangles)
 (20 ozs) can pie filling 
(you'll have leftovers) 
1 egg, beaten, optional

Glaze: 
1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 Tb. cream cheese, softened, optional
1 tsp. vanilla
enough milk to make consistency for spreading 

(OR, as we did...use ready made frosting - 
heat if necessary to drizzle or spread over top while pastries are warm) 

    Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place the thawed pastry sheets on a lightly floured surface. Cut into equal size rectangles (we cut on the dough creases, then cut that large rectangle in half...worked perfectly!) Place half the pastry pieces on a large baking sheet (we covered with parchment paper). Add about heaping Tb. pie filling to each rectangle, leaving about 1/2" on the sides. Cover pie filling with remaining pastry pieces. Seal edges by gently pressing with a fork. (Brush tops with beaten egg, if using - we didn't) Bake for approximately 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool slightly and add glaze if desired.
The hardest part is definitely having to wait for them to cool!  I suggest about 10 minutes cooling time so you don't burn your tongues! 

Options: 
Add a few cinnamon or white chocolate chips 
Combine 1/2 c. jam with 2 tsp. cornstarch for filling
(I'm thinkin raspberry white chocolate together!!!) 
Freeze pastries after they are completely cooled.  Place on waxed paper lined cookie sheet - freeze for at least an hour; place into ziploc freezer bags; heat in 400* oven for about 5 minutes; cool, serve. 

Check out another simple DIY breakfast recipe
Homemade Pop Tarts


(Kaity's older sis, Claira) 



Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly