Sunday, July 13, 2014

Overnight Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal (Healthy Options)

If you've followed my blog very long, you already know I'm a lover of all things OATMEAL!

Especially if I can cook it overnight in the crockpot and have it ready and waiting for me in the morning!

It's an inviting way to get the kids out of bed in the morning! *-*



Hubby even commented how much he loved this wonderful breakfast, and that was a real surprise as I didn't expect him to. (He's just not the oatmeal lover I am)

I did use steel cut oats - I suggest that for best results. I have used old fashioned or 7 grain oatmeal for overnight cooking, but this had the perfect! texture.  

I loved the smoothness and creaminess that using coconut milk AND coconut oil adds. 

I always use my plug in 'light timer' to use for overnight cooking.  I can set it to turn on after I go to bed, and turn off before I wake up. 

The sweetness from the apples plus the maple syrup I added made it the perfect sweetness - no extra sweetner/sugar needed for us. You can always add more sugar, stevia, truvia, or your favorite sweetener after it's cooked. 

Using the crockpot is insanely brilliant - mixing everything up the night before and walking away....Gotta LOVE that!! 

Thanks to Jordan at The Fitchen where I saw this yummy recipe. I adapted her recipe and we think it's perfect.  


OVERNIGHT CINNAMON APPLE OATMEAL 

2 apples, cored, peeled and diced
1-1/2 c. (lite) coconut milk
1-1/2 c. water
1 c. steel cut oats
1 Tb. brown sugar
1 Tb. dry cooked (sugar free) vanilla or coconut pudding mix, optional
(for added creaminess)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. fresh grated nutmeg, optional
1 Tb. (sugar free) maple syrup
1 Tb. coconut oil
1/4 tsp. sea salt

Spray crock of slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. (This made it oh so easy to clean up!) 

Add all ingredients to crock, combining brown sugar and cinnamon together separately before adding...so cinnamon doesn't clump up. 

Cook on low for 5 - 7 hours. (Ours was just great after 6 hours). 

Top with raisins, fresh apple chunks, banana slices, or (toasted) pecans

Yield: 6 - 8 servings


To make 4 - 5 servings use these measurements 

2 apples, cored, peeled & diced
1 c. (lite) coconut milk
1 c. water
3/4 c. steel cut oats
2 tsp. brown sugar
1 Tb. dry cooked vanilla pudding mix, optional
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
2 tsp. maple syrup 
2 tsp. coconut oil 
few dashes sea salt
You might also enjoy this 
Crockpot Coconut Pecan Pie Oatmeal




Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly