Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Grandma's Waldorf Salad

CAN WE TALK? 

(OK...I'll talk...you 'listen'...then you can comment if you'd like=)

I wanted you to know that the next couple of weeks are going to be extra busy for me...we have sold our lovely home and will be moving just 3 doors down to a smaller home, where the landlord will take care of the yard and all the maintenance.  YAY!

In case you didn't know, my hubby is 100% disabled (because of exposure to Agent Orange) and can't do all the things he use to.  Oh he tries...believe me he continues to try, but there comes a time when you just have to slow down.

Our time has come...so...with that being said, I have two new recipes a week, scheduled to be published over the next few weeks, but I will not be online for several days, so I would appreciate you LIKE-ing my FB posts (or FB will remove them) and PIN-ning my recipes...until I'm back here sitting in my favorite chair, spending time with y'all!

On to today's new recipe post....

This is a great dish from Gooseberry Patch's 
FOOLPROOF FAMILY RECIPES. The recipe was submitted by 
Anne Alesauskas of Minocqua, WI. 

My very own CHEESEY COTTAGE POTATOES recipe is in this book, so I received the book for free.  I love that GP does that!  I'm building quite a collection. 

I think it's pretty funny that this recipe is named Grandma's...when it really reminds me of a dish my own mom made, nearly every Sunday.  And my mom called it Waldorf Salad too!

My mom would tear up a little bit of lettuce...then add whatever fresh fruit she had on hand..usually an apple, a banana, some grapes, maybe raisins, and marshmallows, then mix a little sugar and milk with mayo then stir it in.

We enjoyed this lovely dish so many times when my own kids were growing up too.  But you don't want to make more than you can eat for that meal, because the lettuce wilts and the fruit browns.  So if there was any left in the bowl at the end of the meal, I made sure it didn't go to waste...(it went to waist instead=). 

This salad has great CR-R-R-unch! And it's light and very tasty. Would be great for lunch or for any holiday meal. Perfect for autumn. 


GRANDMA'S WALDORF SALAD 

2 Gala apples, cored and diced
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and diced
1/2 c. chopped pecans or walnuts
1/2 c. celery, diced
1/3 c. sweetened dried cranberries
1/3 c. mayonnaise
(I added a few sprinkles of salt, and of sugar too...to make 
it taste more like MY mom's=) 

Stir together all ingredients in a large bowl. Cover and chill until serving time.  




You might also enjoy...

Creamy Pea Salad




Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly