Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Fresh (Crockpot) Tomato Soup

I am excited to share this recipe with you!

I recently received this cookbook in the mail...for free...because I have a few recipes in it.  Yahooooo!


I also have a few recipes in another one of Dr. Sonali Ruder's cookbooks...
The Greek Yogurt Diet Cookbook, and feel rather giddy about that!

I've been reading through this latest one and one chilly day during Christmas week, I decided I'd use the frozen tomatoes I had on hand, and make this soup.

I like my tomato soup creamy, so I added a dollop of plain Greek yogurt and stirred...it was GREAT. You could also add some cream cheese if you'd prefer...there's just something about it being milky that comforts me. 


From the Random House book sale website: 

Cooking Well: Anti-Aging features over 100 recipes designed to strengthen your immune system, increase your energy and keep you feeling healthy well into your golden years.

If you're interested in reading more, or even purchasing this lovely cookbook, 
go here


FRESH CROCKPOT TOMATO SOUP

16 medium, ripe Roma tomatoes
2 medium, sweet yellow onions, chopped
3 med. carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 lg. garlic clove, minced
3 Tb. brown sugar
1/4 c. chopped, fresh basil leaves
(I used about a tsp. dried)
1/4 c. chopped, fresh parsley
(used 1 tsp. dried) 
2 Tb. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
6 cups chicken stock
(I used 4 because I like a thicker soup)

Carefully drop tomatoes in a big pot of boiling water for 20 seconds.  Immediately transfer to a big bowl or pot of cold water.  Peel and quarter the tomatoes and place in a large ( 6 - 7 qt.) crockpot.  Add onions, carrots, garlic, brown sugar, basil, parsley, Worcestershire, salt pepper and stock.  Cover and cook on low for 6 hrs. (or high for 3 - 4 hours) or until vegetables are very soft.  Puree*, in batches, in a food processor or blender until smooth.

*I used my hand held blender right in the crockpot and it worked great*
You might also like...

Not Your Lunch Lady's Goulash




Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly